Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Yop!

I am tired of reading that I don't exist.

I am a Catholic.  I am a liberal.  I am a woman.  Sarah Palin does not speak for me, but neither does Nancy Pelosi.

When I read about the dismissive attitude of the far left, I am troubled.  That is my club.  Am I being ejected?  What do they mean when they say no one who would have voted for him disagrees.  


I care about birth control.  I do not think it should be illegal or deliberately inaccessible.  I do not think Catholics should be forced to fund sin.

I care about abortion.  Anyone who thinks this is a simple black and white issue is cold-hearted or a lunatic.  I believe children are dying because women all too often feel boxed in.

I care about immigrants.  Did you hear that?  I said immigrants, not aliens and not immigration.  That's right.  Those people.  I care about them.  Any discussion of immigration in my book will always be centered on those people and their dignity.

I care about the health care.  This issue is dear to me, and I hate to see it used as a political ping pong ball.  Simply, no one should be bankrupted because they get sick or have a sick child.  Mental illness is an illness.

I care about prison reform.  I cannot understand how we are going so wrong here.  Prisoners can, on the one hand, expect amenities that exceed what they could afford before imprisonment.  On the other hand, rape and other violence is a national joke.  If that is not cruel and unusual punishment, I don't want to imagine what is.

I care about the homeless, the poor, the unemployed.  I care about the abused and the bullied.  I care about free speech and free exercise of religion.  I care about the 99% , and I try to care about the other 1%, but gosh darn it, sometimes they make it hard.  I suppose I am almost your typical bleeding heart.

Except when I am not.  Which might be pretty often, because who knows what typical means.

My own experience may skew my sense of reality, but I refuse to believe that there are so few of us, Catholics who lean left but are faithful to the Church, that we can be ignored.

We are here!  We are here!  We are here!  Yop!!  (Yeah.  I broke out the Dr. Suess.)

No comments:

Post a Comment